- Designs are created through the study and understanding of weave structures, whereby arranging threads to create desired patterns.
- Patterns are calculated and then translated onto the loom through careful threading arrangements.
- Each textile is crafted with thoughtfully chosen natural fibres. Local and organic yarns are sourced whenever it is possible.
- Special colours are hand dyed using foraged wild-flowers and other natural dyes extracts. Sometimes I will use a low impact synthetic dye to acquire saturated hues. And then sometimes colours (often black) have been commercially dyed. See my transparency page for full details.
- Every piece is woven by hand and treadled by foot.
- Often when starting a new design, the textile will be woven and un-woven dozens of times until I feel satisfied with the outcome. Sometimes this also includes re-threading the loom to alter the pattern or re-sleying the reed to acquire a perfect sett.
- After the textile is completely woven it is removed from the loom, where it is finished with a hand twisted fringe or stitch.
- Each piece is then washed and pressed.